Thursday, September 12, 2013

No time for sick moms

I don't like to write about myself--I much rather write about my children.  However, today I'm being self-indulgent.  All moms know that parenting can be the most tiring and thankless job on earth.  And parenting never stops for sick moms.  They must push through whatever ailments they have for the sake of their children's wellness.  For nearly 17 years, I have struggled with what I believe to be chronic Lyme Disease.  Fast forward to 2012, when I was counseled that a crazy thyroid and gluten intolerance were the actual culprits of my most recent health troubles.  A gluten-free diet was do-able for me, and within days, some of my symptoms cleared (like chest pains, lack of energy, headaches and joint pains).  But the cause of my unintentional weight gain, anxiety, OCD, insomnia and rashes is yet to be determined.  It seems that just when my health begins to improve, it takes a turn for the worse and I'm back at square-one.

Enough about my health issues--back to parenting.  Needless to say, I haven't been a happy camper and my kids can sense this.  I have become a tired, cranky, screaming mommy with zero patience.  Of course I don't want to be this person, but it's easier said than done when all I feel like doing is laying down instead of refereeing a play date and cleaning a snotty nose.  (Not to mention unpacking 72 boxes from our recent move, and some regular housekeeping duties that never seem to be completed.)

In a perfect world, my health would be great (hopefully, I'm moving close to that), I would be working more regularly, and I'd return to my normal, cheerful self.  In the meantime, I'm just trying to keep some sense of sanity.

No comments: